2017 Ruck Cover

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
I can't understand why nobody is talking about Sauce, find it astounding. A few years ago he had his first full preseason and pumped out a 115 and then 108. Last year he had virtually no preseason and put out an 86. Built into the season and went at 105 from rounds 11-18 before a 26 in round 19 when he got injured. Came back for the last couple of regular season games and then got going again in finals with a 105 and 98.

As far as I'm aware, he's had an uninterrupted preseason. He's also got little competition for his spot. Played 20+ games last 5 seasons. On last seasons form I'd lock him in for a 105 average. With the new ruck rule he might repeat his 115. And you're paying 86 for him.

Gawn/Sauce all the way for me.
Question: what are Sauce's HTA stats like? His really good years were under the previous system before they made it HTA score 5 but other hitouts score NIL.

Jan 28, 2017
The rucks is the hardest to grasp as apart from gawn its so hard to find a potential R2 as i have rotated my lineup with Sandi (injured), Witts (dud), goldstein (injured), grundy is unknown and Ryder more suited as FWD

Reactions: Fbdonkey

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
You could always start Ryder at R2 and move him to the FWDs later via trade.
Ryder is definitely a valid option in either line and he's been in and out of my teams a lot, but I would still be looking at structures without him in case both him and Lobbe get named R1. Ryder is VERY popular this year. We all kind of assume Lobbe will just play in the SANFL, but it's no guarantee and I refuse to be blind-sided by both getting named and having to change my structure to something I've never tried 3 days before lockout.

Reactions: tiltraise

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
Would Boyd be likley to play time in the middle over him?
Boyd is probably getting middle time no matter what, and maybe they do just go him and Campbell. If memory serves they never went all three of Boyd, Roughead, and Campbell last year. It was only Roughead and Campbell when Boyd missed time in the middle of the season. I'm just throwing out the hypothetical that English gets picked over Campbell, which I don't think is too unrealistic. I doubt the Doggies can afford to name Tom Boyd as the sole ruck so there's probably about to be a battle for that other spot and I am very interested to see how it goes with English being 130K.

brenna

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Feb 26, 2016
Question: what are Sauce's HTA stats like? His really good years were under the previous system before they made it HTA score 5 but other hitouts score NIL.
Fantasy Freako on twitter "Sam Jacobs is by far the best value ruck in #SuperCoach after downer in '16. From 2012-15, his HTA% was the highest of any ruckman."

Reactions: Fbdonkey and cactus

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
You could always start Ryder at R2 and move him to the FWDs later via trade.
I was pondering that this morning. So many question marks over the top guys outside of Gawn:
Goldy - limited preseason and minor injury currently. Top shelf but may start slow.
Grundy - gee, I just struggle to see him being worth it. Top score ever of 127. Goldy averaged more than that in 2015!!! Not a dominant tap ruckman, needs 20 touches to get over 100 generally. Hard to see him going far beyond 100.
Stef - The worst of the tap ruckman in this group, so 3rd man rule won't help him. What it may mean is Archie Smith may get more of a look-in, especially against the best tap ruckmen. Caution.....
Sauce - could return to his 110+ ways, but does need the midfield to step up and help his HTA%

I expect Ryder to go 90+, maybe even as high as 100+ depending on how he is used. Think he can easily be a top 6 forward, but he won't be a top 3 ruckman. So picking him as R2 and rolling him to the forward line later to bring in a top 3 ruck is looking more and more appealing as a strategy....

Feb 27, 2016
Anyone worried that both Stef and Gawn spent a lot of time in the forward half on the weekend could this be a sign of things to come.

As every year rucks seem to be one of the major headaches.

Really keen on Grundy. Approaching that sweet spot age of 23. The same age that Goldy and Grundy both broke out.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Anyone worried that both Stef and Gawn spent a lot of time in the forward half on the weekend could this be a sign of things to come.

Really keen on Grundy. Approaching that sweet spot age of 23. The same age that Goldy and Grundy both broke out.
Wouldn't worry about Gawn, they were probably just seeing how Spencer went in a match situation without needing major influence from Gawn. I think Max had something like 70% game time for 95SC... For a lot of time resting forward and 30% time on the bench, they're great numbers.

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016

Pretty sure they just wanted to see what Spencer had, I have no doubt Gawn will be the Dees lone ruck come Rd1... As for Stef I get the feeling the Brisbane Coaching staff is pretty keen on Archie Smith, I can see them sharing duties this year

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Pretty sure they just wanted to see what Spencer had, I have no doubt Gawn will be the Dees lone ruck come Rd1... As for Stef I get the feeling the Brisbane Coaching staff is pretty keen on Archie Smith, I can see them sharing duties this year
I reckon if Gawn or NicNat went up against Stef alone they would tear him to shreds without 3rd man up. The Lions tended to either played a 2nd ruck (e.g. West or Smith) or did a lot of 3rd man up last year when they played the dominant rucks.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
I only watched about one quarter of the Port v Saints game tonight but Lobbe seemed to be doing all of the rucking for Port and was actually looking quite good ... reports of his demise may have been a bit premature ... will be interesting to see how this plays out from the Ryder point of view.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I only watched about one quarter of the Port v Saints game tonight but Lobbe seemed to be doing all of the rucking for Port and was actually looking quite good ... reports of his demise may have been a bit premature ... will be interesting to see how this plays out from the Ryder point of view.

+ Longer and Hickery in the same team :eek:

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London

Ryder started in the ruck early and looked great and his hands looked good too clunking a couple. I wouldn't read too much into today. Ports first hit out.

Reactions: Fbdonkey and cactus

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Nank played well last night we all know. But Hardwick has come out and said he was happy with Marics game, and could be a great Ruck combo. This may put some real question marks over Nank and an R2 possie.

Reactions: Prospector

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015
If Camreron is named round one for sydney im very tempted to put Sandy in at R2 for a risk
currently have Goldy im not sold on his Price or Fitness either
and i really dont see any other ruck options except Grundy who is unproven
don't like Ryder in my team either and that round 9 bye
running out of options
whats everyone else doing

Reactions: cactus

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
If he is why not play Cameron at F7? You still need one player not playing if you want to use the loophole

Reactions: Brad