2017 Backline Midpricers

Ltv

Feb 22, 2016
Anything doing with Andy Otten? Is he injured or no JS?? Don't know much about the happenings over there

At this stage it seems very unlikely he will be able to break into the side, with the emergence of Lever and Hartigan as dependable tall defenders last season and players like Cheney and young Doedee competing for the mid sized defender spots there just isn't a position for him barring a few injuries.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
averaged 75 in his first year over 17 games, Vlastuin has suffered from bad coaching, should be in the midfield for sure.... Or suffered from Richmond's shit defense

Heppelltitis

Feb 13, 2017
I do, lots of love for him down at the club, he's Scarlett's project, think some thing like:

Kolo Lonergan Stewart
Tuohy Henderson

With 1 of Ruggles/Bews/Mackie/Thurlow on the HBF & 1 on the bench.
What kind of role do you expect Tuohy to play? Is he likely to score well enough to consider as a defensive option? Cheers

tiltraise

Development Coach
Nov 13, 2015
At this stage it seems very unlikely he will be able to break into the side, with the emergence of Lever and Hartigan as dependable tall defenders last season and players like Cheney and young Doedee competing for the mid sized defender spots there just isn't a position for him barring a few injuries.

What are Hampton's chances of being B22?

Mur Ray

Feb 11, 2017
Thoughts on Jeremy McGovern? Not quite a mid pricer but thoughts on him as a POD considering he averaged 95 for the 2nd half of the season last year and West Coast's easy draw up until the byes? Also shown he has the ability to knock out a 140 once every so often

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
What kind of role do you expect Tuohy to play? Is he likely to score well enough to consider as a defensive option? Cheers

Enright aside our work out of the backline was pathetic last season, I think he'll be one of the main ball uses out of there and will be given license to run, not sure I see him improving much on the 80ave but will be watching pre-season games closely

Reactions: Heppelltitis

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Thoughts on Jeremy McGovern? Not quite a mid pricer but thoughts on him as a POD considering he averaged 95 for the 2nd half of the season last year and West Coast's easy draw up until the byes? Also shown he has the ability to knock out a 140 once every so often
I'm a fan. Best intercept mark in the game and can go forward and swing a result. There was talk last year (but no action) about how much he wanted to ruck; will he get a chance this year without Nic Nat? I reckon there's plenty of worse gambles you could take than starting him.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Interesting. Just listened to the podcast and the boys were pretty bullish on Hartlett in the backline at 420K. Seems like a role risk to me. From what I understand he shifted into a more backline role last year (a bit like Vince) and his scoring dropped off. Anything to make one think Hartlett will play more midfield this year? At least with Vince you have Hibberd coming in that could release him a bit (still have to worry about him getting given run with roles). But Hartlett? I wish the boys had dug into what they were thinking in a bit more detail.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Interesting. Just listened to the podcast and the boys were pretty bullish on Hartlett in the backline at 420K. Seems like a role risk to me. From what I understand he shifted into a more backline role last year (a bit like Vince) and his scoring dropped off. Anything to make one think Hartlett will play more midfield this year? At least with Vince you have Hibberd coming in that could release him a bit (still have to worry about him getting given run with roles). But Hartlett? I wish the boys had dug into what they were thinking in a bit more detail.

I think Hartlett was just disinterested last season, probably knew he was going to be shopped around & was looking after himself a bit, recommitted I don;t think he has to be a pure mid to average premo defenders numbers having said don't feel comfortable for him to be at D3 for me and structurally have a rookie at D4.

One of the boys went the early "lock" on Rich last season though :p

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Played a great game didn't he? It's not so much the stats although they looked good ... but he just looked SC relevant. Lots of run and carry. I've put him on the watch list.

Someone has to take Enright's points, I'm worried about the lack of contested possessions and tackles when he has a 20 touch day.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Someone has to take Enright's points, I'm worried about the lack of contested possessions and tackles when he has a 20 touch day.

There's always that issue with any player. This maybe the change that he needed. He has been brought in for this job you would think, so will be used.

Feb 27, 2016
Guys thoughts on Zac Jones. Scored 114 points on the weekend

I know everyone is apparently going to be getting midfield time over there. But with his run and carry looks primed for a big year and exactly what the swans need.

Just wary of picking up a mid pricer with so many good premium and rookie options this year in the backline.

Reactions: tiltraise

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Guys thoughts on Zac Jones. Scored 114 points on the weekend

I know everyone is apparently going to be getting midfield time over there. But with his run and carry looks primed for a big year and exactly what the swans need.

Just wary of picking up a mid pricer with so many good premium and rookie options this year in the backline.

I liked the look of him from a SC perspective a couple times last season but I can't see him pushing top10 defenders this year, I think there's a real case that Jones, Heeney & Mills all just have a gradual improvement of around 5pts.

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
Can a Swans fan give us an update on Jake Lloyd?

Last 3 year averages

Looming as a possible POD, awkward price at 460k but a DPP and had a half decent back end of the season last year not much below 80 and a couple big scores. Will his role differ at all this year??

Ramjets

Patron '20
Feb 5, 2016
What are Hampton's chances of being B22?
Pretty decent I think. By all reports over injuries and I recall a media report recently quoting Pyke as saying midfield is his best position. With a shallow midfield and a couple of injuries to key crow mids already, I see Hampton as a strong chance to see a lot of midfield rotation early in the season. If named for R1 he's one of the biggest def rookie locks for mine.

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
Can a Swans fan give us an update on Jake Lloyd?

Last 3 year averages

Looming as a possible POD, awkward price at 460k but a DPP and had a half decent back end of the season last year not much below 80 and a couple big scores. Will his role differ at all this year??

Mate he's an underrated player for sure. He's rapidly becoming one of our best distributors which is why he spent a fair bit of time across half back last year and gained the defence eligibility. He's an outside player with decent leg speed. He had a great year last year for us and I'd expect him to improve again and take on more responsibility. The problem with him as an SC option is his price. Whilst I'd expect him to have a similar output this year I'm not sure his ceiling will improve enough to see him into the top 10 defenders by seasons end. At 460k he's too expensive to be a stepping stone and I can't see him averaging an extra 10-15 points a game this year with the likes of Mills, Rampe and McVeigh being used heavily across half back. Great player but a dodgy SC selection for mine. Hope this helps.

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
Mate he's an underrated player for sure. He's rapidly becoming one of our best distributors which is why he spent a fair bit of time across half back last year and gained the defence eligibility. He's an outside player with decent leg speed. He had a great year last year for us and I'd expect him to improve again and take on more responsibility. The problem with him as an SC option is his price. Whilst I'd expect him to have a similar output this year I'm not sure his ceiling will improve enough to see him into the top 10 defenders by seasons end. At 460k he's too expensive to be a stepping stone and I can't see him averaging an extra 10-15 points a game this year with the likes of Mills, Rampe and McVeigh being used heavily across half back. Great player but a dodgy SC selection for mine. Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot mate, just thought he might be a half decent POD and I just didn't know that much about him to be honest, I get the feeling he's one of those guys I'm sure we would know a lot more about if he played for a Vic club... You guys are blessed with medium defenders!