2017 Ruck Cover

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
With 211 looking like being a pretty popular pick at R2 many coaches will be looking at ruck cover right from round 1. Of course those who took TBC a year or so ago as ruck cover might think of ruck cover as a highly overrated concept. Anyway ...

Ryder - just over $400K - would need to score at forward keeper level or just under to be a good pick ... can he do it?

Nankervis - a few seem to think he'll take the main rucking duties from Hampson at Tigerland straight away. I don't know but even if he does he doesn't have much exposed form to justify his price of $366K.

Witts - ruck only, no DPP, so he'd just be sitting in your bench and priced at just over $200K that would be painful but probably doable.

Tom should-have-won-the-norm-smith-medal Boyd - priced at about $290K I believe and apparently they were only going to award him 99SC for the GF so his game is probably not too SC friendly. You couldn't have home at the price could you?

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
It's definitely the right question to be asking... Not having any ruck cover last year was really tough.

I think Lycett is another worth considering on the forward line who can swing into the ruck if needed. Obviously Nic Nat had a stock standard knee reco in late August, so doubt we'll see him at all. Lycett played 20 games last year, is 24 and entering his 7th season. I quite like that profile. But I can see how people would balk at the price when Ryder is a bit cheaper.

Kid81

Jun 8, 2016
do you think Lycett will play from round one? from what i hear, he will miss at least the first 2-4 rounds

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
do you think Lycett will play from round one? from what i hear, he will miss at least the first 2-4 rounds
Oh really? I had no idea. Scratch him in that case then.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Been looking at the numbers a bit more over the last 24 hours.

Ryder has a couple of years where he averaged about 100 and another couple where he avaerage 90. I reckon anything from 90 up is a win at 415K given that he also provides ruck cover if ... massive if ... he plays close to the full season. The last four seasons he played have been injury affected to one degree or another so the question is will he have got over his nagging problem during his year off football? Or will he have lost a little condition and me more likely to pick up niggles? At 415K if he starts badly it might put you a fair way behind. Too many question marks for me. I'll let him run against me at the start and pick him up later if he is playing well and if I end up paying a bit more, so be it.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Insufficient scoring history from Nank or Boyd to justify their price so Witts is the only one still in consideration for me I think ...

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
I've been thinking for months, since prices were revealed, that I would run with Witts as R3. But after having a tinker with a few starting options, I don't see anyway I can structure it so this is feasible.
Paddy in the forward line with a cheap R/F (most probably Strnadica) at R3 just makes too much sense. If Witts was a DPP he would be in for sure, he just doesn't have a large enough ceiling to justify paying the awkward price.

What are people's thoughts on Zac Smith?? No 3rd man up could have a big impact on his scoring with no Blicavs coming over the top all day!! Again 421k pretty awkward price, just would love to hear others thoughts.

Reactions: Prospector

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
I am keeping a sneaky eye on Tom Hickey, he is fully fit, training hard and had a ripper of a season last year.
Now with a great midfield and the addition of some other talent on the list @the Saints I can see Hickey taking anther step in his development.
Average of 84 last year playing all but 2 matches, he is one I can see enjoying 1 on 1 Ruck contests.

What are people's thoughts on Zac Smith?? No 3rd man up could have a big impact on his scoring with no Blicavs coming over the top all day!! Again 421k pretty awkward price, just would love to hear others thoughts.

He is an interesting one and time will tell (just like all of these midpricers) if this rule change helps, but I just can't see him getting any better than a 80 average and I think that's probably being optimistic.Since 2011 he has not averaged any higher than 78 with a career average of 76 he just doesn't show any signs of going any bigger, that and his role at the Cats is pretty limited. Just my thoughts though.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Looking at this would the Cats use Blicavs in a mobile Ruck possie and do away with the big man?
With the 3rd man out of the picture he could be affective as a Ruckman then the Cats add an extra midfielder. hmmm?
So many questions, it will be interesting to see how it panes out.

He failed so badly as a mid last season I think they have to transform him into a defender,

Reactions: Steve

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
He failed so badly as a mid last season I think they have to transform him into a defender,
Yep, Cats have too many B grade mids as it is and Blitz doesnt even make grade. Can run all day but cant do much with the pill. Will be very interesting to see what they do with him this year but I dont for a minute think he will be used as a sole ruck, or even in tandem with Stanley.

captainchardonnay

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
May 22, 2015
I'll be taking Ryder in the fwd line from rd 1 with a DPP spud in R3. He looks the best option for being a keeper and/or being slightly under priced. If there's a DPP R3 rookie player that looks like he might get a run at some stage I'll slot him into R3 but otherwise, best loop hole option available.

Ryder will end up being F6 or F7 if I'm really lucky (Currently F3 with Roughy F4).

I've had a DPP R/F combo for last 3 years and it's always saved me a couple of donuts. Under rated tactic IMO. The captaincy loophole can't be underestimated either.

Reactions: Cromagnon

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
I'll be taking Ryder in the fwd line from rd 1 with a DPP spud in R3. He looks the best option for being a keeper and/or being slightly under priced. If there's a DPP R3 rookie player that looks like he might get a run at some stage I'll slot him into R3 but otherwise, best loop hole option available.

Ryder will end up being F6 or F7 if I'm really lucky (Currently F3 with Roughy F4).

I've had a DPP R/F combo for last 3 years and it's always saved me a couple of donuts. Under rated tactic IMO. The captaincy loophole can't be underestimated either.
I reading plenty of Ryder love here and in the forward primo thread. Certainly has the ability to average well enough for F6 / Ruck Cover role but here are the games played for the last four years her played:

2015 - 18 games
2014 - 20 games
2013 - 17 games
2012 - 15 games

Anything make you think he is actually going to play enough games to be a good selection. 20 games at a low 90s average might be almost acceptable as long as he does miss the week you need the cover. Less games than that, even if he averages a bit more, and he will be a failed selection.

Reactions: tiltraise

captainchardonnay

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
May 22, 2015
I reading plenty of Ryder love here and in the forward primo thread. Certainly has the ability to average well enough for F6 / Ruck Cover role but here are the games played for the last four years her played:

2015 - 18 games
2014 - 20 games
2013 - 17 games
2012 - 15 games

Anything make you think he is actually going to play enough games to be a good selection. 20 games at a low 90s average might be almost acceptable as long as he does miss the week you need the cover. Less games than that, even if he averages a bit more, and he will be a failed selection.

Fair point.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine

2015 - 18 games
2014 - 20 games
2013 - 17 games
2012 - 15 games

The year off may have been just what the bean pole needed. One to watch early still i think.