Hall of Fame

thejuddernaut

Senior Coach
Apr 26, 2015
Perth
My first inductee for an SCC hall of fame would have to be Tom cats (sorry if I've embarrassed you Amber). Only SCC contributer I know to have won the weekly top prize. Versus the juddernaut a mighty feat.
Always there or thereabouts up the top but to top a couple of hundred thousand or so teams and not one of those r12 bye teams sort of players is a mammoth effort.
anyway my two cents.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
It's disappointing that there isn't much footage available online, compared to other sports. I'd love to re-watch some of the games I went to.

Thank goodness at least some of the old games are on YouTube. If not the whole game then highlights.
I found the 1989 Sts v Blues match on YouTube - well, the last qtr:
The highlights of the Salmon (10) v Ablett (14) shoot-out on 1993 are also on YouTube:

If you remember a particular game but are not sure of the exact season/opponent then there is a good resource which provides results and statistics of all games and players:
http://afltables.com/afl/seas/season_idx.html

Maybe that helps 23.

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
I could spend hours on AFL Tables, great resource. Love looking back at games I went to.

Deadsets

6-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Listening to Tony Locket talking about his career at the Hall of Fame induction brought back some very happy memories for a long-term Sainter.
He mentioned one game in 1989 when he kicked 10 goals playing on Silvagni. I was there that day and remember it well. It was a very tight game with the Sainters leading early but Carlton fighting back to draw level at 3/4 time (9.15 to 10.9). The last qtr was back and forth when, with little time left and Carlton leading, Lockett led out to the pocket and took a fingertip mark, Silvagni right behind him, fist inches from the ball. Lockett kicked his 10th goal and the Sainters won 13.18.96 to 13.14.92.
Lockett's stat.s that day:
18 kicks, 1 handball, 13 marks, 1 tackle, 1 FF, 8 FA, 10 gaols, 7 behinds. Not a typical Lockett day: he usually was very accurate; and while lockett regularly gave away free kicks the 8 FA was a bit much.
His Brownlow votes? Only 2. Believe it or not. The 3 votes went to Brett Bowey for 10 possies, 1 tackle and 1 goal. Why? I have no idea as I cannot remember his efforts in that game.
Lockett started the year scoring 70.23 in the first 9 rounds: 9.4, 10.7, 8.2, 5, 5.2, 6.1, 6.4, 9, 12.3. He missed the next 4 games, came back for 2 games in which he kicked 8.1 and then was out injured for the rest of the year. That's 78.24 in 11 games.
Truly a legend.

Congratulations are due to all the inductees but as a Sainter who saw so many of Lockett's games I think that his Legend status is fully deserved. Imagine going to every game knowing that your full forward was going to kick a bag and (almost) never being disappointed. That was my lot in those years.

To be fair, Lockett also mentioned that the next time the Saints payed Carlton he was again matched up on SIlvagni and had zero stat.s: that's right, no marks/kicks/handballs/goals. Not exactly true but he did have a shocker: 3kicks, 1 mark, 2 goals, 1FF and 5 FA.

Mate reading this brought a tear to the eye. I no exactly how u felt. Being in tassie i only saw him live once against fitzroy at belrieve.

He was the most intimidating man id ever laid eyes on. And as a young kid he appeared to kick the ball into the clouds.

Just looked up that link it was 92 and at nth hobart and plugger kicked 8. Harvey was 19. Gilbert mcadam and
nicky where my other favourites.

The memories. Poor fitzroy where shaking the cans that day.

I bloody hated gary senior due to him always killing us. I was too young to be impartial and just enjoy watching him.

The cheif was another gun kick.

Last edited:

Fitzroy Guerrilla

Staff member
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 27, 2015
Richmond
The memories. Poor fitzroy where shaking the cans that day.

We were the first club to take home games down to Tasmania until the AFL put a stop to it because we may have actually been able to make some money out of it. Arseholes.

Reactions: Prospector