Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Listening to Tony Locket talking about his career at the Hall of Fame induction brought back some very happy memories for a long-term Sainter.
He mentioned one game in 1989 when he kicked 10 goals playing on Silvagni. I was there that day and remember it well. It was a very tight game with the Sainters leading early but Carlton fighting back to draw level at 3/4 time (9.15 to 10.9). The last qtr was back and forth when, with little time left and Carlton leading, Lockett led out to the pocket and took a fingertip mark, Silvagni right behind him, fist inches from the ball. Lockett kicked his 10th goal and the Sainters won 13.18.96 to 13.14.92.
Lockett's stat.s that day:
18 kicks, 1 handball, 13 marks, 1 tackle, 1 FF, 8 FA, 10 gaols, 7 behinds. Not a typical Lockett day: he usually was very accurate; and while lockett regularly gave away free kicks the 8 FA was a bit much.
His Brownlow votes? Only 2. Believe it or not. The 3 votes went to Brett Bowey for 10 possies, 1 tackle and 1 goal. Why? I have no idea as I cannot remember his efforts in that game.
Lockett started the year scoring 70.23 in the first 9 rounds: 9.4, 10.7, 8.2, 5, 5.2, 6.1, 6.4, 9, 12.3. He missed the next 4 games, came back for 2 games in which he kicked 8.1 and then was out injured for the rest of the year. That's 78.24 in 11 games.
Truly a legend.

Congratulations are due to all the inductees but as a Sainter who saw so many of Lockett's games I think that his Legend status is fully deserved. Imagine going to every game knowing that your full forward was going to kick a bag and (almost) never being disappointed. That was my lot in those years.

To be fair, Lockett also mentioned that the next time the Saints payed Carlton he was again matched up on SIlvagni and had zero stat.s: that's right, no marks/kicks/handballs/goals. Not exactly true but he did have a shocker: 3kicks, 1 mark, 2 goals, 1FF and 5 FA.

Last edited:

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Just before my time but jeez they're incredible stats. Pity we don't see bags of goals every week in today's game.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Yes Locket is a very worthy inductee, what an awesome time of football we were lucky to witness!
Players like Locket, Ablett, Dunstall ect. the game has past those days obviously but it would be great to see a power forward again kicking bagfulls.
I don't think we'll see totals of over 100+ in a year again.

Reactions: Prospector

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
There is no denying he was a amazing football player.

Unfortunately for me his legacy will always be tarnished by the Peter Craven incident.

Fantastic football player, not much of a bloke, IMO.

Sorry to add a down note.

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Unbelievably tough choice to take only one of Lockett, Ablett, Dunstall and Carey, I think all 4 deserve to be legends. Reckon you could make a compelling argument for all of them. Was lucky to grow up watching them. Saw Dunstall's 17.5 against Richmond and 14 against Footscray, simply amazing.

Reactions: doddy2731

thejuddernaut

Senior Coach
Apr 26, 2015
Perth
Abletts 13 for me and think Salmon same game with 12?
Pluggers point to put the swans in the big one my most memorable plugger moment.

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Yeah 14 to Ablett and 10 to Fish that day. They replayed it on Fox the other day, as 'Fletcher's 3rd Game' (!). Late 80's / early 90's footy was the best.

Reactions: Steve

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Growing up watching Gazza live every week was a similar experience. I distinctly remember my old man telling me in probably '89 to make sure I remembered it and made the most of it because he was such a special player. I couldn't tell you how many times I saw him kick bags and sit on defenders heads right in front of me. They were the glory days of footy. I still love the game obviously but it's a shame that it will never be like that again.

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
It will, it has to be, we need he same kinda stories to tell out own kids!

Reactions: cactus

Dino

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Apr 24, 2015
Alexandra, Victoria
Growing up watching Gazza live every week was a similar experience. I distinctly remember my old man telling me in probably '89 to make sure I remembered it and made the most of it because he was such a special player. I couldn't tell you how many times I saw him kick bags and sit on defenders heads right in front of me. They were the glory days of footy. I still love the game obviously but it's a shame that it will never be like that again.
The memory I have of Ablett is the 94 prelim. The footy floating over Micky Martyn and falling into Abletts arms. I couldn't believe it. I was devastated. What a game that was.

Nothing quite like the footy in the 80's watching a game at a suburban ground and then getting home to watch the replays.

felixes felines

Dual Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Not enough space here to put down all my great memories of Gazza Senior. His 89 finals series is right up there.
14 against the Bombers with the Salmon shoot out is high. Every time he played against the poor Tigers you could put him down for a bag.
His first State game when Teddy Whitten picked him after only a handful of games. Managed a lazy 8 goals along with a couple of speccies.

Plugger, Dunstall & Gazza = The Glory Days.

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Also love some of the more obscure things...Dunstall play CHF late in an awful loss to Fitzroy (like an Eskimo in the Sahara), Paul Hudson kick 9 vs Collingwood the same day I played Vickick at half-time, taking a square of grass home from the last match at Waverley, Dunstall fracturing his skull then returning with that helmet...

Reactions: Dino

writeoff

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Somewhere in time
There is no denying he was a amazing football player.

Unfortunately for me his legacy will always be tarnished by the Peter Craven incident.

Fantastic football player, not much of a bloke, IMO.

Sorry to add a down note.
Don't know if that was a deliberate typo but his name is Peter Caven. He is a dual premiership player and hardly craven.

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Remember the little rover Danny Craven? One of the few league footballers who I'm taller than!