2020 Starting Structure

lenny

Development Coach
Jun 21, 2015
How is everyone's starting structure looking this year?

Ive got a lot of cash tied up in my mids and ruck which is where the points come from just wondering if I've gone too heavy. I am toying with the idea of dropping Gawn to put that money into some of the other lines.

Backs
Premo 2
Mid 2
Rook 4

Mids
Premo 5
Rook 6

Rucks
Premo 2
Rook 1

Forwards
Premo 2
Mid 1
Rook 5

11/3/16

Just wondering how everyone else is looking at starting, would be good to compare other people's thoughts/plans.

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015

Ive got a lot of cash tied up in my mids and ruck which is where the points come from just wondering if I've gone too heavy. I am toying with the idea of dropping Gawn to put that money into some of the other lines.

Backs
Premo 2
Mid 2
Rook 4

Mids
Premo 5
Rook 6

Rucks
Premo 2
Rook 1

Forwards
Premo 2
Mid 1
Rook 5

11/3/16

Just wondering how everyone else is looking at starting, would be good to compare other people's thoughts/plans.
Pretty similar. I’m currently:
3/1/4 (counting Doc as a premium)
5/0/6
2/0/1
2/2/4

Also toying with losing Gawn which would give me an extra forward premium

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane

Backs
Premo 2
Mid 2
Rook 4

Mids
Premo 5
Rook 6

Rucks
Premo 2
Rook 1

Forwards
Premo 2
Mid 1
Rook 5

11/3/16

So much depemds upon which rookies get chosen.
I am currently running:
Def:1-1-6
Mid: 5-0-6
Ruck: 2-0-1
Fwd: 1-3-4
My mid-pricers include several I'm hoping will be keepers: Docherty, Ceglar, Brayshaw (Freo) and Smith.
My "rookies" include any player $270,00 or less. Most are genuine, no-games rookies but I also have Cummings, Noble and possibly Roberton.

Last edited:

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
So much depemds upon which rookies get chosen.
I am currently running:
Def:1-1-6
Mid: 5-0-6
Ruck: 2-0-1
Fwd: 1-3-4
My mid-pricers include several I'm hoping will be keepers: Docherty, Ceglar, Brayshaw (Freo) and Smith.
My "rookies" include any player $270,00 or less. Most are genuine, no-games rookies but I also have Cummings, Noble and possibly Roberton.
I'm into my research really late this year because work has been absolutely crazy, but I couldn't agree more with you on rookies. I have never done midprice madness but I just don't see the level of top scoring in the back and forward lines to keep me away from it this year. I definitely don't like my team, but rookies are doing my head in and right now I'm toying with:

Backs: 0-3-5 (Doch, Houston, and....Cerra probably)
Mids: 4-1-4 (Walsh)
Rucks: 2-0-1
Fwds: 0-5-3 (Ceglar, Petracca, Brayshaw, Steven, Smith)

The only basement-priced rookie I have on field is Marlion Pickett. The only BACKs and FWDs I really want by the end of the year are Lloyd, Whitfield and Dusty. I see neither value nor captaincy potential in all 3 of those selections so I will upgrade to them (in a perfect-world-that-will-never-happen the F7 in my finalized team is a R/F swing Ceglar or the worst midpricer of the bunch if Ceglar smashes it). Between my mids and rucks I have 6 captaincy options because it will be absolutely crucial to nail that this year (I just cannot go past Gawn for that reason alone but I need legit ruck cover bc he's underdone).

I am literally going into this season assuming 2-3 midpricers don't quite come off as keepers but the top talent in the FWD and BACK lines won't hurt me enough for it to matter before I can correct. I just think the bottom rookies, even if they do get named, are mostly all looking like they're going to score 50 or worse. The thinking is that a Laird and Brander on field score maybe 150avg the first 6-7 weeks of the season between them (maybe 160 best case, 130-140 worst case). A Cerra/Lachie Ash (if named) knock out a 150avg pretty easily and I save like $125k...plus Brander gets to stay on bench and make cash for me whereas who knows what happens to the D7/D8 rookies if you're not paying up.

Similarly, and I feel much more strongly about this in the FWD line, I don't think a Lachie Whitfield and a Max King can come too close to a Brayshaw and a Smith. Basically, Brayshaw and Smith only have to average around 75-80 each to breakeven in the early rounds there. If I upgrade bench rookies to Whitfield and Martin and a midpricer or two keeps scoring 80 what other forwards are really going to hurt me late season if I start faster on points? Maybe a Walters but I'm assuming I trade a couple midpricers up around the end of the byes or shortly thereafter. I just need to not blow trades after weeks 1, 3, and 4.

Sorry for the long post but I think the crux of my argument is that I don't see two things that the traditional guns and rookies strategy needs to have happen to work optimally:

• Scoring separation from who I project at D3-D6 and F3-F6 from the rest of the mid-price pack behind them.
  • Half decent scoring from basement-priced rookies that would have to be on field.
    • I want nothing to do with having King, Taylor, Rankine, Starcevich, Brander, Budarick, BZT, etc. on field (let alone who knows if all of them get named and who we're going to pick if they're not)
I am fully aware this could totally blow up in my face but I have observed that a straight guns and rookies strategy will basically give you a 1K-5K ranking at the end of the year, but the winners pick the expensive rookies (and a midpricer or 2) to get a points lead in the beginning weeks of the year and then hang on. I am betting that effect is amplified with the dearth of top-end scoring down back and forward.

Sorry for the long post but I'm a bit bored over in The States what with everything being shut down. Cheers and good luck this year!

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
I still haven't settled on a structure and I'm always a Guns and Rooks type but this year it just can't be done (not with confidence anyway).

kinggo

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Apr 27, 2015
It's evolved a bit lately but at present running
2-0-6
6-0-5
1-1-1
2-2-4

AlLewis

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 16, 2017
With a reduced number of rounds full premo teams will be almost impossible to attain so it might have to be a mid-price gamble everywhere possible with selecting reduced premos ultra important and picking only the rookies with decent, quick scoring potential.

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
With a reduced number of rounds full premo teams will be almost impossible to attain so it might have to be a mid-price gamble everywhere possible with selecting reduced premos ultra important and picking only the rookies with decent, quick scoring potential.
If they end up condensing any part of the schedule it may also be a good idea to pick based on age. Guys like Steven who arent young and have also had a preseason calf niggle all of a sudden dont look like a great risk to take if they dont get recovery time in between games.

Orallus_Maximus

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 11, 2015
upload_2020-3-19_9-46-51.png

My current team (pending team selection). I am considering dropping Jacobs to Naismith so I can upgrade Bont to Macrae. Assumign Jack Steven won't be named round 1. Feedback/comments appreciated.

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
View attachment 1411

My current team (pending team selection). I am considering dropping Jacobs to Naismith so I can upgrade Bont to Macrae. Assumign Jack Steven won't be named round 1. Feedback/comments appreciated.
Rankine is out with a hammy...I am at the point where I have Brander up FWD on ground and we don't even know if he's going to get named haha.

Reactions: Prospector