Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Should we all be saying Marlion Pickett?
Maybe, but his only game was in a walkover. Just 1 tackle, DE 63%, TOG 66%, most of his his possessions uncontested. He did some great things for sure, but reserving judgement until after preseason games and round 1 teams are named.

For me - Grundy, Gawn, Macrae then go from there.

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Grundy/Gawn/Macrae/Whitfield first in for me in terms of premiums. Liking Sicily too.

If fit I think Rankine walks into everyone’s team

Reactions: Prospector

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
If they show anything in the pre-season, Docherty, Devon Smith and Jack Steven will find their way into lots of teams.

Reactions: J-Dog

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
How about Cutler?
Surely the Don's have brought him in for a reason, anyone know what he costs??
$296k. Value for sure. As mid-only hard to justify giving him a spot over the premiums and rookies available this year. If only he was a Def or Fwd...

Reactions: doddy2731

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Grundy/Gawn/Macrae/Whitfield first in for me in terms of premiums. Liking Sicily too.

If fit I think Rankine walks into everyone’s team
I'm not touching Whitfield at this point. I don't pay attention to where they will finish in their line, just their starting price. For me that only matters later in the year. I try to start guys who'll be top 10 in their position for sure, but don't care if they're a clear number 1 or not.

Would you pay $600k+ for Whitfield if he was a mid? I wouldn't even think about it. Misses too many games. Up and down depending on role. Taggable if the opposition desires. GWS have so many options this year around the park, they can't all play the best role and score.

I'll have to get him at some point if he stays fit as he'll be top 2 for sure. But, even with 50% of the comp starting him, can't see how he hurts me and how I won't be able to pick him up much cheaper later in the season. He probably needs to go 120+ to start the season, if not 130+ to hurt me.

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
I'm not touching Whitfield at this point. I don't pay attention to where they will finish in their line, just their starting price. For me that only matters later in the year. I try to start guys who'll be top 10 in their position for sure, but don't care if they're a clear number 1 or not.

Would you pay $600k+ for Whitfield if he was a mid? I wouldn't even think about it. Misses too many games. Up and down depending on role. Taggable if the opposition desires. GWS have so many options this year around the park, they can't all play the best role and score.

I'll have to get him at some point if he stays fit as he'll be top 2 for sure. But, even with 50% of the comp starting him, can't see how he hurts me and how I won't be able to pick him up much cheaper later in the season. He probably needs to go 120+ to start the season, if not 130+ to hurt me.
Yeah injury is a slight concern, he did play 22 in 2018 though. I feel like he plays a bit of a unique role in the Giants set up so I’m less concerned about him losing points for that reason. Averaged 130 over the first month last year so there is some precedent for him scoring enough to sting if you don’t have him

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Yeah injury is a slight concern, he did play 22 in 2018 though. I feel like he plays a bit of a unique role in the Giants set up so I’m less concerned about him losing points for that reason. Averaged 130 over the first month last year so there is some precedent for him scoring enough to sting if you don’t have him
He’s locked for me too. Just an unreal player, beautiful kick. What a bonus to be able to take him as a forward.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Maybe but that was only a month. At the end of that run he was at peak price $615k, his only 2 weeks of the year priced over $600k. He finished off the last 10 games with an average of 102 — that will sting if you do have him.

There's so much information around, it's impossible to get sneaky options. I think nowadays the way to get ahead of the pack is to take on a couple of the really popular picks. Whitfield looks like a perfect option. Lots of question marks, even if he does go nuts early he's never sustained it.

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Couple points on Whitfield.....

His PF and GF scores were 46 and 68.

Been building beautifully the last 5 years:

2015: 78ppg
2016: 81
2017: 98
2018: 100
2019: 111

Personally I don’t think he’s the amazing buy he was last year, but the fact he’s available as a forward, plays for GWS and is now at the peak of his powers (turns 26 in July) means I’ll pick him. Even if he dips a few points, to say 104-107ppg, he’ll still be a good pick.

Happyracoon

Ava Ash
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
I think the pros and cons of the Whitfield starting selection is relatively even. FWIW he averaged 116 last season excluding his injury-effected 45 (leg cork) in round 6. Also broke his collarbone in round 11 but not sure when that happened in the game to affect his score of 65.

I’ll be trying to start him but won’t be moving heaven and earth to make it happen.

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Everyone on Twitter is pumping up Houston from Port, seems like he’s in line for a midfield role. He scored reasonably well running through the middle in a handful of games last year. What’s everyone’s thoughts on him?

My immediate assessment was no as it’s almost impossible to nail breakout picks like this